Provide a next-generation data centre architecture that would provide a high-performance infrastructure platform and support flexible, efficient service delivery.
The foundation network to support consolidated data centre operations, and facilitate migration and centralisation of ICT services.
State-of-the-art, highly available and highly secure data centre network, providing the opportunity to leverage economies of scale and offer centralised services to the organisation’s large, distributed user base.
The brief was for next-generation data centre architecture that would provide a high-performance infrastructure platform and support flexible, efficient service delivery. The solution would allow ICT to play a greater role in service enablement.
Frame was commissioned to deliver the program within an agreed timeframe, and was responsible for the end-to-end delivery of the project as well as solution design and build.
The key to the project’s success would be ensuring the business drivers were fulfilled; namely, improving service delivery while reducing operating costs.
The solution facilitates the migration and centralisation of the organisation’s ICT services so they can be managed more effectively.
Scalability and flexibility were crucial design elements, as was integration with a new WAN. Frame’s design achieved this, catering for all known and envisioned future requirements, and enabling the timely decommissioning of systems and services from legacy sites.
Frame’s solution for the foundation network provided:
- scalability in capacity and bandwidth, to enable growth
- a very high level of redundancy and resiliency withineach data centre and between them, to assure services availability
- integration with the WAN, including an extension of the proven security architecture, so the solution seamlessly integrates with the organisation’s ICT environment.
The result is state-of-the-art, highly available and highly secure data centre facilities, providing the opportunity to leverage economies of scale and offer centralised services to the organisation’s large, distributed user base.
The foundation network has enabled the organisation to move forward with its bigger program of works:
migrating ICT services to the new data centre facilities. What’s more, Frame is now working on an extension of the program to deliver a secure internet edge for the
Frame handled procurement of all necessary infrastructure equipment, staged the equipment, and implemented and tested the solution:
- physically installing the devices, which entailed racking as well as patching all equipment
- logically implementing the solution, which involved installing complex network configurations to enable the procured network equipment to function and integrate into the network
- testing the solution to confirm each device was functional and integrated into the network, as specified in the detailed design.
Handover to the organisation included:
- as-built documentation, outlining the full details of how the network is setup, and full details of all the network equipment and how it integrates with the WAN
- training for the technical staff responsible for operating and maintaining the foundation network.
With a duration of 21 months, the project presented several challenges which Frame overcame using efficient and effective management, and successful negotiation with the client and equipment vendor, providing beneficial outcomes for all parties.