Review the ICT services and infrastructure with the view of creating a robust platform to support business growth.
A comprehensive understanding of the state of ICT services and infrastructure. A practical and cost-effective roadmap to meet strategic and operational goals.
A concrete plan to improve ICT infrastructure, giving users the performance and reliability they expect and leading the company towards its targets for revenue growth and business resiliency.
The company’s business plan aimed to significantly increase revenue over the ensuing 2 years. Crucial to the plan’s success was a robust platform for ICT services to support the business.
Acutely aware that ageing facilities were putting ICT services at risk of failure, the company was keen to avoid unscheduled outages.
It was of prime importance that the ICT services delivered the performance and reliability QinetiQ’s users expected.
Frame was commissioned to review the ICT services and infrastructure then develop a plan focused on improving ICT service continuity and allowing the company to make better use of its ICT investments.
The review brought to light several high-risk vulnerabilities which, if penetrated, could have had a major financial impact on direct costs and on consequential loss. Following Frame’s recommendations for remediating just one of these risks has led to cost savings for QinetiQ — the net result being that the roadmap has already paid for itself.
Significantly, the roadmap has provided QinetiQ with a plan to:
- improve the facilities which support ICT infrastructure in QinetiQ’s state offices, with better management of the data centre environment
- centralise core ICT services, making most effective use of the facilities and services provided in its Melbourne office. This prevents the spread of ICT infrastructure in its state offices, and saves money by self-hosting rather than outsourcing
- enable high-availability of ICT services, with improved ICT service continuity practices and better defined KPIs and service levels, giving users the performance and reliability they expect.
Overall, the roadmap enables QinetiQ to create the robust platform it desired, leading the company towards its targets for revenue growth and business resiliency.
We got tremendous value from this exercise. Frame provided effective engagement and communication throughout the whole process of the ICT strategic review and roadmap development.
Michael McCallun, Head of Commercial, QinetiQ
At the same time, Frame ran a series of interviews with stakeholders and users of QinetiQ’s ICT services to get an understanding of how they use the services and whether there were any pain points.
Frame qualified the findings by severity and impact, identifying business criticalities and risks within each business unit where ICT was not supporting the business requirements, then used workshops to verify and requalify, as necessary.
Following the review, Frame developed a report and a roadmap to steer the company to its desired future state, comprising:
- a detailed log of the issues and risks identified during the stakeholder interviews and workshops
- a current- and future-state analysis of the ICT infrastructure
- an indicative project schedule and cost estimate
- recommendations for network support options.